Following the lead of Cliff Atkinson's Blog at Beyond Bullets, Illustrating your Blog with an eye-catching graphic can be straightforward with the right tools--tools you may already have on your desktop.
For myself, I've been working on streamlining this process. I'll blog about how I captured the image to the left (which includes resizing and a drop shadow).
This site uses dasBlog to organzie blogs. Follow the instructions below to add a post with an image:
- Log into your blog and click Add Entry
- Begin typing your entry. When you get to the point you wish to insert an image, move to step 3.
- In the editor, click the button which looks like this to bring up a dialog showing a gallery of images on your site.
- At the bottom of the gallery you'll see some controls similar to the image to the right. Click the browse button to select the image to upload.
- Find an image to upload. It should already be the size you want to use in your blog.
- Click Upload (for me, I had to repeat steps 4 & 5 to make this happen--this seemed consistent and shows that there's a problem somewhere--I'll try to track down the problem)
- Change the 'Align' drop-down to indicate where you'd like your image to 'float.' Left and Right are the most often used. Set VSpace and HSpace to 3 (the number of pixels of space (padding) between the image and the text). The text you put in 'Title' will show as a tool-tip when you hover the mouse over the image. Don't change anything in the Dimensions area as I haven't found my changes are applied.
- Now you can click Insert. You should see an entry similar to what's on the right. If you click and drag the image, you can reposition it.
- To adjust an images properties, click on the image then click on the button that looks like this .
Looking over what I just wrote, it doesn't appear to be a simple process, but believe me, it is much better than anything that existed a year ago. A year from now this will all be much easier.